Sunday, March 29, 2015

Shahi Tukda

Shahi Tukda 





Sometimes I make a dish quite out of the blue without any reason and this Shahi Tukda is one such dish. Basically I had milk which I had reduced by mistake and then on a lazy Saturday afternoon I was fidgeting with the idea of a dessert but I knew I did not want kheer aka Indian rice pudding and then I remembered Shahi Tukda . This is one of the first desserts which I had made for a huge dinner party while in college. 

This time I adapted the recipe given in Adil Ahmed's book 'Tehzeeb' You see I believe ghee is the answer to superior quality better tasting Indian desserts. You simply cannot get the same taste when you are using refined oil which has no flavour of its own. Not to mention the immense flavour imparted by ghee. The ghee makes all the difference along with the kewda water and using full fat milk.




The thing thing is this does not use saffron but uses Kewra water. I love saffron and love using it which is why using Kewda water was  such a  refreshing change for me and the flavour it imparts is truly amazing.



So this Shahi Tukda is royal indeed the recipe adapted from a semi royal family's cookbook

Serves 4 to 5

What you need :-

6 to 7 small slices of milk bread their crusts cut out
500ml full cream milk
130gm sugar
A few drops of screwpine ittar or a tiny sprinkle of screwpine water
A handful of pistachio blanched and chopped
You may also use raisins which I left out
6 to 8 heaped tsp of unmelted ghee

Start by reducing the milk with the sugar . When doing so add 1/2 tsp ghee. This addition of ghee prevents the milk from sticking to the bottom easily. keep stirring from time to time. Reduce it till it thickens. Takes about 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Once reduced add the screwpine water aka kewda water.

Blanch the pistachio and chop them up.

 Slice the slices of bread diagonally. Fry them till golden brown on both sides. Do this over medium to low heat lest the slices of bread burns.

Once all the slices of bread are fried arrange them on a serving dish and pour the reduced milk on top. garnish with the pistachio and chill this for a good 2 hours to 3 hours and then serve this decadent dessert which is sure to impress your guests.


1 comment: