Friday, June 5, 2015

Chickpea Tahini Salad

Chickpea Tahini Salad 




Since I am celebrating salad weeks and its coming to an end here is a very simply Chickpea Tahini Salad.



For the Tahini please check out the recipe here. Recipe for Tahini

Makes 2 servings :-

I usually boil and keep aside chickpea cooked from 1 cup of dried chickpea and I used 6 tbsp cooked chickpea
2 cups of shredded iceberg lettuce
1 tbsp finely minced parsley
Tahini as per taste ( I used 2 tbsp as dressing)
Salt as per taste

Here is a quick tip on boiling chickpea. Till this year's January I have always soaked chickpeas and then cooked it. Then a blogger friend, Rhea shared an article which actually stated that chickpea cooked without soaking yields better flavours. A lot of people who are part of the food group said that ever since they had switched over to this no soak business of cooking chickpea they have not looked back. I tried the method out of curiosity and also because many people swear by it and as it turns out they were 100% correct. Chickpea cooked without pre-soaking it is much more tasty than when soaked and cooked. Please note that the dried chickpea used must not be too old and it does take a bit of extra time for cooking which is completely worth it. I usually use 1.5 cups of dried chickpea and simmer it for over an hour with 7 cups of water, a pinch of salt and a tiny pinch of bi-carbonate of soda which fastens the cooking process.

For the salad simply toss everything together and let the diner top his or her salad with the tahini sauce as dressing.



11 comments:

  1. Didn't know this bit about the no-soaking business. Alas, I exhausted my chickpea stock this morning. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The no soaking is such an interesting tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soumi personally speaking I am in love with the flavour it retains. I do recommend this method :)

      Delete
  3. A nice refreshing healthy salad. I follow your posts often on Chef at Large, but today thought of leaving a comment here on your blog.

    Cheers !!

    Gauri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gauri,

      And I do follow your posts on My Continental Kitchen :) I did enjoy your month long posts on different. Such dedication is commendable. Cheers to cooking :)

      Delete
  4. Salad looks so refreshing and inviting! Chickpea and tahini in a salad is a killer combo! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is dried chickpeas different from regular chickpeas???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Western countries commonly chickpea sold is in cans which is probably already cooked. In India when I buy chickpea its in its dried format. Usually people soak it but cooking without soaking gives it a better taste. I used to soak it but then once I learnt this method I dont use it. I dont use canned chickpea when I go to the west because its with preservatives how else does it have a shelf life :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks a lot for a quick reply... :) one more thing just wanna ask... Can I use regular vegetable oil in tahini sauc e recipe??

    ReplyDelete